Consular registration of birth abroad

Tres generaciones de una familia

What is a consular registration of birth abroad?

This procedure allows the descendant of a Chilean person up to the second degree, such as a daughter or grandchild, who was born outside Chile, to register their birth as Chilean before the Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación.

Where can I apply?

The birth registration of the children of Chileans born abroad may be made at the respective Chilean consulate if the applicant is abroad or at the Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación (if the applicant is in Chile).


In order to register, at least one of the parents or grandparents must have been born in Chile and maintain their citizenship at the time of the birth of the descendant. The applicant must certify that one of his/her parents or grandparents has obtained Chilean citizenship:

  • By birth in Chilean territory;
  • By Carta de Nacionación (Letter of Citizenship) or
  • By “especial gracia” (special grace, when the Chilean State grants citizenship to a foreigner under certain circumstances).

Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: