Residencia Temporal permit

Persona postulando online

What is a Residencia Temporal permit?

Residencia Temporal is the permit granted by the Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG) to foreigners who intend to reside in Chile for a limited period of time, which will be valid for up to 2 years, except for the subcategory of seasonal workers.

In what cases can I apply for a Residencia Temporal permit?

Law No. 21.325 of Migraciones y Extranjería, through Decree No. 177 of 2022 of the Ministry of the Interior and Public Safety, established a list of subcategories that may be the basis for an application for a Residencia Temporal permit.

The applicant must determine which immigration subcategory best suits their personal situation in order to present their application with the corresponding requirements, either as an applicant or as a dependent.

Where can I apply for a Residencia Temporal permit?

The application for a Residencia Temporal permit must be made online from abroad, except in the following cases:

What are the stages of the application for Residencia Temporal permit?

Application stages made abroad *

Application stages made in Chile *

How can I follow up the progress of an application?

You can follow up the progress of your application in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of SERMIG, logging in with your personal or ClaveÚnica account. Then go to the side menu and click on the “Consulta Estado Trámite” button.

General information

The Residencia Temporal permit is issued for a maximum period of two years, except for the seasonal workers (trabajadores de temporada), which may be valid for up to five years, and within each calendar year the total stay of the person must not exceed 6 months.

The validity of the residence permit as a dependent will be conditioned on the residence of the foreigner on whom you are dependent.

All subcategories may be extended for two consecutive years, except for:

After receiving the notification of being granted the Residencia Temporal permit in your email, the entry into force of the residence depends on:

  • Application outside Chile: Once you have downloaded the Estampado Electrónico you will have 90 days to enter Chile. The validity of your Residencia Temporal permit will start from the date you enter the country.
  • Application within Chile: The validity of the Residencia Temporal permit will be counted from the date on which you have downloaded the Estampado Electrónico.

The SERMIG may reject applications for Residencia Temporal permits by means of a well-founded resolution, in accordance with the provisions of Article 88 of Law No. 21.325 of Migración y Extranjería:

  • Failure to comply with the requirements of each immigration category and subcategory established in Decree No. 177.
  • Be subject to any of the prohibitions provided for in Article 32 of Law No. 21.325, of Migración y Extranjería.
  • To make false or adulterated declarations or present false or adulterated documentation when carrying out any procedure before the Chilean authorities in order to obtain an immigration benefit for oneself or for another.
  • Who are unable to exercise a profession or trade and lack the means of support that would allow them to live in Chile.
  • Who have been repeatedly sanctioned for not having complied with their obligaciones tributarias o previsionales (tax or social security obligations).

In any cause for refusal, the foreign person shall be notified in accordance with the provisions of Article 88 of the Regulation of Law No. 21.325. It is suggested to read about the complete refusal process below.

  1. Prior to the issuance of the refusal, the email address stated in the application will be notified of the reasons that will serve as a basis for the refusal. The foregoing in accordance with Art. 91 and 146 of Law No. 21.325 of Migración y Extranjería, and Art. 88 of the Regulation of the same legal body.
  2. The foreigner will have a period of 10 working days to present additional information regarding the cause of refusal invoked by the authority.
  3. After this period, and if there are no discharges that merit a change in the decision of SERMIG, the refusal will proceed. Any decision refusing or revoking a permit shall set a time limit for leaving the country, which may not be less than five days.
  4. The foreign person may file any of the administrative appeals (*) provided for in Law No. 19.880, otherwise, they must comply with the abandonment order.

(*) The filing of these appeals suspends the effects of the challenged decision.

  • For permits applied for outside the country, before finalizing the submission of the application, you will be asked to pay for the fees in the Payment Portal of the Tesorería General de la República (TGR).
  • For permits applied for within the country, in case of favorable qualification of the application, you will receive an email notification indicating that you must enter the application to access the link of the TGR portal, for the respective payment.
  • For cases that were applied for prior to May 14, 2023, through the Portal de Trámites Digitales or the Clasificador N°8, Correo Central Santiago. Also in the case of favorable qualification of the application, you will receive an email notification to download the money order and then proceed to pay the respective fees. These fees can be paid at any commercial bank or ServiEstado.


Holders of a Permanencia Transitoria permit who are in the country cannot apply for a residence permit, unless they comply with the requirements established in Article 69 of Law No. 21.325 of Migración y Extranjería, that is:

  • That they can certify that they have family bond with Chilean persons or with permanent residents.
  • Those who apply as dependents of a Residencia Temporal permit holder.
  • People affected for some humanitarian reason.
  • Those whose stay is in accordance with the objectives of the Política Nacional de Migración y Extranjería.
  • Other cases duly qualified by the Subsecretaría del Interior by means of a resolution, after a report from SERMIG.

© Images from Freepik.


¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: