What is a Residencia Temporal permit?
Residencia Temporal is the permit granted by the Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG) to foreigners who intend to reside in Chile for a limited period of time, which will be valid for up to 2 years, except for the subcategory of seasonal workers.
In what cases can I apply for a Residencia Temporal permit?
Law No. 21.325 of Migraciones y Extranjería, through Decree No. 177 of 2022 of the Ministry of the Interior and Public Safety, established a list of subcategories that may be the basis for an application for a Residencia Temporal permit.
The applicant must determine which immigration subcategory best suits their personal situation in order to present their application with the corresponding requirements, either as an applicant or as a dependent.
Where can I apply for a Residencia Temporal permit?
The application for a Residencia Temporal permit must be made online from abroad, except in the following cases:
- Your application refers to the subcategory of family reunification or is based on a humanitarian reason, as indicated in Article 4 of Decree No. 177 of 2022 of the Ministry of the Interior and Public Safety.
- If you are already a holder of a Residencia Temporal permit, and you wish to apply for a change of immigration subcategory or to extend it.
- If you have a Residencia Temporal permit as a dependent person and wish to change the status to holder.
- If you have a Residencia Oficial (Official Residence) permit as a holder or dependent and you wish to apply for a change of immigration category.
* Spanish only.
What are the stages of the application for Residencia Temporal permit?
How can I follow up the progress of an application?
You can follow up the progress of your application in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of SERMIG, logging in with your personal or ClaveÚnica account. Then go to the side menu and click on the “Consulta Estado Trámite” button.
* Spanish only.
- That they can certify that they have family bond with Chilean persons or with permanent residents.
- Those who apply as dependents of a Residencia Temporal permit holder.
- People affected for some humanitarian reason.
- Those whose stay is in accordance with the objectives of the Política Nacional de Migración y Extranjería.
- Other cases duly qualified by the Subsecretaría del Interior by means of a resolution, after a report from SERMIG.
© Images from Freepik.