Students from state-recognized establishments


To whom is this Residencia Temporal permit directed?

Mujer estudiando

This permit may be applied for by foreigners who are interested in residing in Chile to study in educational establishments recognized by the State, provided they comply with the proper requirements.

Where can I apply for this Residencia Temporal permit?

This application for a Residencia Temporal permit must be made from outside Chile, by logging in with the account created by the applicant for these purposes or with ClaveÚnica, in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG).

* Application only available from abroad.


  1. Passport or identification document.
  2. Criminal record certificate or equivalent document issued by the competent authority of their country of origin or the country in which they have resided in the last 5 years (required to applicants over 18 years old).
  3. Certificado de Alumno Regular (Regular student certificate) or Certificado de Matrícula (Certificate of enrollment).
  4. Provide proof of income or livelihood, through: Bank deposits; Periodic money orders in your name; Affidavit of expenses from your family provider in Chile signed before a notary, who must accredit income; among others. If you have a scholarship, present the scholarship certificate, indicating the duration of the scholarship, financing, and study center.


  • The passport must be valid for at least one year as from the application date (for applications submitted abroad).
  • Documents issued in any language other than Spanish and English must be submitted together with their respective translation, which must be authorized by a certified body.
  • All documents issued abroad or by the respective consular representation in Chile must be apostilled or duly legalized, as stipulated in Articles 345 and 345 bis of the Código de Procedimiento Civil (Code of Civil Procedure).
  • Documents issued by private parties must be submitted within 30 days from the date of issuance. Those issued by public institutions and agencies must be presented within 60 days from the date of issuance unless the validity of the document is expressly stated.

General information

If you are a holder of a residence permit of this subcategory, you are allowed to engage in lawful paid activities for up to 30 hours per week, without requiring additional authorization to do so.

These activities may be performed in the educational institution where you are studying, or for another employer or contractor, following the general rules that apply according to the contractual relationship in question.

In the event of engaging in this type of activity, you must inform SERMIG, attaching a copy of the contract in question. Under no circumstances shall the work performed in these paid activities be sufficient justification for the loss of student status, unless the 30-hour maximum is exceeded.

If you wish to apply for an extension of this subcategory of the Residencia Temporal permit, you must submit the documentation that certifies that you are still studying, at the date of the application, at the same program that gave rise to the granting of the original permit. Likewise, you must submit documents that prove the financial means with which you will be able to cover your stay in the country.

Your permit may be revoked if you have lost your status as a regular student, notwithstanding the situations of unforeseeable circumstances or force majeure. The latter may be asserted in the administrative revocation procedure, and their weighting must be justified and resolved by SERMIG in the act that completes the procedure.

Yes, you may be granted a Residencia Temporal permit as a dependent of the holder of this immigration subcategory, if your condition is included in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Article 74 of Law No. 21.325.

For more information on the requirements, visit the page about dependent status.

© Images from Freepik.


Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: