Extension of Residencia Temporal permit

Mujer solicitando una prórroga de permiso

What is an extension of Residencia Temporal permit?

An extension is a request made by a foreigner to renew their current Residencia Temporal permit without changing its subcategory nor its status.

Where can I apply for an extension of my Residencia Temporal?

This application must be made from within Chile, by logging in with ClaveÚnica or with the account created by the applicant for this purpose, in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG).

* Only available from within Chile.


Each subcategory of Residencia Temporal has requirements for its extension. In general terms, you must certify by means of current documentation that you maintain the same conditions for which the residence permit was initially granted.

You will also have to attach general and specific documentation, which is detailed below:

  1. Identification sheet of the passport or identity card.
  2. Estampado Electrónico  of the Residencia Temporal permit / Consular Visa (must include the passport page with the stamp of entry to the country).
  3. Cédula de Identidad issued by the Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación (Civil Registry and Identification Service).
  4. Certificate of criminal record or its equivalent issued by the competent authority of their country of origin or the country in which they have resided in the last 5 years (required to applicants over 18 years old).

In addition to the general documentation, the applicant must attach the documents corresponding to the immigration subcategory to be extended.

In the case of the extension of the permit for foreigners who engage in lawful remunerated activities, you will have to present:

  • If you are a subordinate or dependent worker: Certify that you currently have a work agreement by presenting a Certificado de vigencia de contrato (signed before a notary public) and a Certificado de cotizaciones previsionales both from your AFP and Healthcare provider.
  • If you are self-employed: Present a valid civil or commercial contract and certificates issued by the Servicio de Impuestos Internos (SII, the Chilean IRS) to cerify that you have developed such civil or commercial activities.
  • For both cases: if the employer is a legal or natural person with Inicio de actividades, must attach Carpeta tributaria (Tax folder) from the employer or contractor. Otherwise, must present proof of economic solvency of the employer to comply with the contractual obligations.


  • Documents issued in any language other than Spanish and English must be submitted together with their respective translation, which must be authorized by a certified body.
  • All documents issued abroad or by the respective consular representation in Chile must be apostilled or duly legalized, as stipulated in Articles 345 and 345 bis of the Code of Civil Procedure.
  • Documents issued by private parties must be submitted within 30 days from the date of issuance. Those issued by public institutions and agencies must be presented within 60 days from the date of issuance unless the validity of the document is expressly stated.

© Images from Freepik.

General information

Those who are holders of a Residencia Temporal permit, granted under the old law or under the new Law No.21.325 of Migración y Extranjería, can apply for the Extension of the Residencia Temporal permit.

You must apply for a extension of your Residencia Temporal within the last 90 days prior to the expiration date of your current permit.

All subcategories can be extended for two consecutive years, except for the subcategory of seasonal workers which can only be extended for up to two additional years, and the special permit for foreign pregnant women, which cannot be extended.

If you apply for an extension with an expired permit, you will have to pay a fine. Therefore, it is suggested to be aware of the deadlines established for each procedure.

The fine payment process must be carried out in the SERMIG's Portal de Trámites Digitales, by logging in with ClaveÚnica or with the account created for this purpose.


Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: