Investors and related personnel


To whom is this Residencia Temporal permit directed?

Mujer inversionista revisando indicadores

This permit may be applied for by:

  • Legal representatives and persons who engage in executive or senior management functions in a foreign company, who seek to invest in Chile for an amount equal to or greater than five hundred thousand US dollars or its equivalent in other currencies, only if such investment is destined to the production of goods or services.
  • Persons who engage in executive or senior management functions and specialized technical personnel, who are hired as dependent workers or to provide services in a company established in Chile, whose capital or assets are controlled directly or indirectly by a foreign investor who holds at least 10% of the voting rights of the shares of the company or an equivalent percentage of participation in the capital stock if it is not a sociedad por acciones (Chilean business structure controlled by their shareholders), or in the assets of the company.

Where can I apply for a Residencia Temporal permit?

This application for a Residencia Temporal permit must be made from outside Chile, by logging in with the account created by the applicant for these purposes or with ClaveÚnica, in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG).

* Application only available from abroad.

Information and requirements

  1. Passport or Identification document.
  2. Certificate of criminal record or equivalent document issued by the competent authority of their country of origin or the country in which they have resided in the last 5 years (required to applicants over 18 years old).
  3. Sponsorship Letter issued by the Agencia de Promoción de Inversión Extranjera (INVESTCHILE, Chilean Foreign Investment Promotion Agency).
  4. A document that indicates the details of the investment, specifying at least the purpose of the investment and the amount, and the nature of the functions, as applicable.

If you are the owner or partner of an established company, you can upload the following documentation:

  1. Certificado de inicio de actividades (this certificate is issued by the SII, the Chilean IRS) of the company.
  2. Carpeta tributaria electrónica (Electronic tax folder; it is issued by the SII).
  3. To certify the payment of the patente municipal (municipal tax for companies that are located within the boundaries of the city or commune).

If you are the holder of a Residencia Temporal permit corresponding to this subcategory, you can apply for an extension of this permit. To do so, you must attach to your application the documents that certify the progress in the materialization of the promised investment (*), in addition to the following information:

  1. Carpeta tributaria electrónica (Electronic tax folder) corresponding to the respective company or partnership.
  2. Proof of payment of the patente municipal corresponding to the period in which the application is being verified, if applicable.
  3. Documents that certify the existing contractual relationship between the company and the applicant, which also certifies the existence of an associated income, duly apostilled or legalized as appropriate.

(*) It is a requirement to extend the period of execution of the Investment Project and to present a record as a consolidated company.

Yes, you may be granted a Residencia Temporal permit as a dependent of the holder of this immigration subcategory, if your condition is included in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Article 74 of Law No. 21.325.

For more information on the requirements, visit the page about dependent status.


  • The passport must be valid for at least one year as from the application date (for applications submitted abroad).
  • Documents issued in any language other than Spanish and English must be submitted together with their respective translation, which must be authorized by a certified body.
  • All documents issued abroad or by the respective consular representation in Chile must be apostilled or duly legalized, as stipulated in Articles 345 and 345 bis of the Código de Procedimiento Civil (Code of Civil Procedure).
  • Documents issued by private parties must be submitted within 30 days from the date of issuance. Those issued by public institutions and agencies must be presented within 60 days from the date of issuance unless the validity of the document is expressly stated.

© Images from Freepik.


Reserva tu hora de atención presencial

Para reservar, debes ingresar con tu cuenta del Portal de Trámites del SERMIG. Si no tienes una, entonces el primer paso es crearla:

Si ya validaste tu cuenta, selecciona la oficina regional que buscas:

* Recuerda que sólo puedes reservar una cita a la vez.

Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: