Religious persons of recognized cults


To whom is this Residencia Temporal permit directed?

Personas ataviadas para el culto

This permit may be applied for by foreigners who belong to a religious entity legally constituted in Chile, in accordance with the rules of Law No. 19.638, and who need to remain in the country for reasons directly related to the exercise of the cult in question.

Where can I apply for this Residencia Temporal permit?

This application for a Residencia Temporal permit must be made from outside Chile, by logging in with the account created by the applicant for these purposes or with ClaveÚnica, in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG).

* Application only available from abroad.

Information and requirements

  1. Passport or identification document.
  2. Certificate of criminal record or equivalent document issued by the competent authority of their country of origin or the country in which they have resided in the last 5 years (over 18 years old).
  3. Certificate from the Church, congregation or religious cult, stating the individualization of the applicant, and the description of the purpose of the activities to be realized in Chilean territory, and in which it is stated that they will be responsible for the living expenses during the period of residence.
  4. Certificate of legal personality issued by the Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación.
  5. Certificado de directorio (Directory certificate) issued by the Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación.
  6. An approval report from the Oficina Nacional de Asuntos Religiosos of Ministry General Secretariat of the Presidency (SEGPRES).

Yes, you can apply for an extension. For this, you must upload the documentation certifying the continuity of the activities that served as the basis for the granting of the original permit.

Yes, you may be granted a Residencia Temporal permit as a dependent of the holder of this immigration subcategory, if your condition is included in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Article 74 of Law No.21.325.

For more information on the requirements, visit the page about dependent status.


  • The passport must be valid for at least one year as from the application date (for applications submitted abroad).
  • Documents issued in any language other than Spanish and English must be submitted together with their respective translation, which must be authorized by a certified body.
  • All documents issued abroad or by the respective consular representation in Chile must be apostilled or duly legalized, as stipulated in Articles 345 and 345 bis of the Código de Procedimiento Civil (Code of Civil Procedure).
  • Documents issued by private parties must be submitted within 30 days from the date of issuance. Those issued by public institutions and agencies must be presented within 60 days from the date of issuance unless the validity of the document is expressly stated.

© Images from Freepik.


Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: