Mercosur: Principle of international reciprocity


To whom is this Residencia Temporal permit directed?

Personas de estados parte del Mercosur

This permit is directed to those foreigners who are granted a Residencia Temporal permit by the principle of international reciprocity, according to the provisions of Article 70 No. 13 of Law No. 21.325.

This principle is applied in the Agreement of the States Parties of Mercosur, Bolivia and Chile, which includes citizens of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay.

Where can I apply for a Residencia Temporal permit?

This application for a Residencia Temporal permit must be made from outside Chile, by logging in with the account created by the applicant for these purposes or with ClaveÚnica, in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG).

* Application only available from abroad.

Information and requirements

  1. Passport or Identification document.
  2. Criminal record certificate or equivalent document issued by the competent authority of their country of origin or the country in which they have resided in the last 5 years (required to applicants over 18 years old).

The validity of this permit will be up to 2 years.

Yes, you can apply for an extension. For this, you must upload the documentation certifying the continuity of the activities that served as the basis for the granting of the original permit.

You can check the cost according to your nationality in the immigration fees section.

In the Migration Agreement between Bolivia and Chile, the application fee for Bolivian citizen was eliminated.

Yes, you may engage in lawful remunerated activities, except for the limitations established by the Código del Trabajo (Labor Code) regarding the employment of minors.

Yes, you may be granted a Residencia Temporal permit as a dependent of the holder of this immigration subcategory, if your condition is included in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Article 74 of Law No. 21.325.

For more information on the requirements, visit the page about dependent status.

How can I apply for this permit?

* Spanish only.


  • The passport must be valid for at least one year as from the application date (for applications submitted abroad).
  • Documents issued in any language other than Spanish and English must be submitted together with their respective translation, which must be authorized by a certified body.
  • All documents issued abroad or by the respective consular representation in Chile must be apostilled or duly legalized, as stipulated in Articles 345 and 345 bis of the Código de Procedimiento Civil (Code of Civil Procedure).
  • Documents issued by private parties must be submitted within 30 days from the date of issuance. Those issued by public institutions and agencies must be presented within 60 days from the date of issuance unless the validity of the document is expressly stated.

© Images from Freepik.


Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: