People covered by international agreements


To whom is this Residencia Temporal permit directed?

Personas portando sus equipajes

This permit may be applied for by foreigners nationals or residents, as the case may be, of those States parties to international agreements signed by Chile and which are in force, by virtue of which such persons must be authorized to reside temporarily in the country.

The requirements and effects of these permits will be those established in the agreement or treaty applicable to the foreign applicant.

Where can I apply for a Residencia Temporal permit?

This application for a Residencia Temporal permit must be made from outside Chile, by logging in with the account created by the applicant for these purposes or with ClaveÚnica, in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG).

* Application only available from abroad.


  1. Identification sheet of the applicant's passport, which must be valid for at least one year as of the date of submission of the application.
  2. Certificate of criminal record or equivalent document issued by the competent authority of their country of origin or the country in which they have resided in the last 5 years (required to applicants over 18 years old).
  3. Additional information on the applicant's economic sufficiency.
  4. That additional information required in the corresponding international agreement or treaty.

Yes, you may be granted a Residencia Temporal permit as a dependent of the holder of this immigration subcategory, if your condition is included in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Article 74 of Law No. 21.325.

For more information on the requirements, visit the page about dependent status.

Working Holiday

The countries with Working Holiday and similar programs agreements are:

  • Australia;
  • Austria;
  • Canada (International Experience Canada);
  • Republic of Korea;
  • Denmark;
  • France;
  • Germany
  • Hungary;
  • Ireland;
  • Japan;
  • Luxembourg;
  • New Zealand;
  • Poland;
  • Portugal;
    Czech Republic;
  • Sweeden;
  • Switzerland (Work agreement for interns);
  • Acuerdo Iterinstitucional Alianza del Pacífico para un Programa de Vacaciones y Trabajo (Pacific Alliance Interinstitutional Agreement for a Vacation and Work Program: Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru).

For information on requirements and rules, please read the following document:

As of the entry of force of Law No. 21.325 of Migración y Extranjería, the application must be made through the SERMIG's Portal de Trámites Digitales, complying with the requirements established in the different agreements.

Once logged in, you must enter your personal information, and then select the type of residence "Tratados Internacionales", and the option "Working Holiday".

* Application only available from abroad.

Free Trade Agreements

Within the framework of the Treaties and Free Trade Agreements (FTA) signed by Chile have temporary entry chapters that allow business people to request a residence permit in our country.

¿How can I apply for this permit?

Check the step-by-step instructions in the following guide:


  • The documents indicated above will not be required when the international agreement or treaty in question explicitly exempts applicants from submitting them.
  • Documents issued in any language other than Spanish and English must be submitted together with their respective translation, which must be authorized by a certified body.
  • All documents issued abroad or by the respective consular representation in Chile must be apostilled or duly legalized, as stipulated in Articles 345 and 345 bis of the Código de Procedimiento Civil (Code of Civil Procedure).

© Images from Freepik.


Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: