Foreigners under medical treatment


To whom is this Residencia Temporal permit directed?

Persona hospitalizada recibiendo tratamiento médico.

This permit may be applied for by foreigners undergoing medical treatment that must be initiated or continued by institutional or private health care providers registered in the records of the Superintendencia de Salud (Chilean Health Agency) and with address in Chile.

Where can I apply for a Residencia Temporal permit?

This application for a Residencia Temporal permit must be made from outside Chile, by logging in with the account created by the applicant for these purposes or with ClaveÚnica, in the Portal de Trámites Digitales of Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG).

* Application only available from abroad.

Information and requirements

  1. Passport or Identification document.
  2. Certificate of criminal record or equivalent document issued by the competent authority of their country of origin or the country in which they have resided in the last 5 years (to applicants over 18 years old).
  3. Medical certificate stating the medical condition, type of treatment, duration and cost of treatment.
  4. Additional information that certifies the existence of economic means for their subsistence during the time they will remain in the country, as well as to finance the treatment. This can be certified with a health insurance that provides the necessary and sufficient coverage to pay for such treatment.

Yes. When applying for an extension of this Residencia Temporal permit, you must upload documentation that certifies the continuity of medical treatment at the time of the application. In addition, you must submit a document stating that you have the economic solvency to support the expenses during your residence in the country.

Yes, you may be granted a Residencia Temporal permit as a dependent of the holder of this immigration subcategory, if your condition is included in paragraphs 1 and 2 of Article 74 of Law No. 21.325.

For more information on the requirements, visit the page about dependent status.


  • The passport must be valid for at least one year as from the application date (for applications submitted abroad).
  • Documents issued in any language other than Spanish and English must be submitted together with their respective translation, which must be authorized by a certified body.
  • All documents issued abroad or by the respective consular representation in Chile must be apostilled or duly legalized, as stipulated in Articles 345 and 345 bis of the Código de Procedimiento Civil (Code of Civil Procedure).
  • Documents issued by private parties must be submitted within 30 days from the date of issuance. Those issued by public institutions and agencies must be presented within 60 days from the date of issuance unless the validity of the document is expressly stated.

© Images from Freepik.


Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: