Loss of citizenship

What does the loss of citizenship consist of?

You can stop being a Chilean citizen, according to the following reasons indicated by law:

  • By voluntary renounce expressed before the competent Chilean authority.
  • By supreme decree, in case of provision of services during a foreign war to enemies of Chile or its allies.
  • Due to cancellation of the Carta de Nacionalización, and
  • By law that revokes the nationalization granted by grace.

If you are Chilean by birth, you will not lose your Chilean citizenship because you are a citizen of another country, unless you voluntarily renounce it before the competent Chilean authority, as indicated in Art. 10 of the CPR (Chilean Constitution).

Where should I apply for renunciation of Chilean citizenship?

If you are abroad, you can apply at the respective consular authority. Otherwise, if you are in Chile, you can go to the Oficina de Partes of SERMIG, located at Calle San Antonio 580, Santiago.


  • Letter or affidavit expressing your willingness to renounce Chilean citizenship.
  • The renunciation of citizenship must be preceded by citizenship in a foreign country, which must be certified by letter or document.

* Spanish only.

Can I regain Chilean citizenship?

Citizenship may also be recovered only for those citizens who have lost it under Art. 11 of the Chilean Constitution (CPR.)

Can I apply to have the annotation of loss of nationality removed?

If you are a Chilean citizen who lost your citizenship for having acquired citizenship in a foreign country under the text of the Chilean Constitution prior to Law No. 20.050 (published on August 26 of 2005), which records the annotation of loss of Chilean citizenship in your birth registration, you can apply for this annotation to be removed.

If you are abroad, you can apply at the respective consular authority, and if you are in Chile, you can apply at SERMIG. 

This application will be sent to the Servicio de Registro Civil e Identificación (Civil Registry and Identification Service) , so that it can proceed to the elimination of this annotation.


  • Application form.
  • Birth Certificate showing the registration of the resignation.
  • Document certifying the current citizenship.

* Spanish only.


Reserva tu hora de atención presencial

Para reservar, debes ingresar con tu cuenta del Portal de Trámites del SERMIG. Si no tienes una, entonces el primer paso es crearla:

Si ya validaste tu cuenta, selecciona la oficina regional que buscas:

* Recuerda que sólo puedes reservar una cita a la vez.

Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: