People entering for tourist, sporting, business or other similar purposes


Who is this permit intended for?

Turistas en una ciudad

This subcategory of Permanencia Transitoria is aimed at foreigners entering Chile for recreational, sports, health, study, business management, family or other similar purposes, such as members and personnel of public shows, athletes, lecturers, consultants and technical experts, among others.

How long can I stay in the country if I enter as a holder of this subcategory?

The validity of this immigration subcategory is limited to 90 days, term that may be restricted in the cases and forms provided for in Article 48 of Law No. 21.325.

Do all countries need prior authorization or visa to enter Chile?

No, not all countries require prior authorization or visa. According to the provisions of Article 27 of Law No. 21.325 of Migración y Extranjería no prior authorization or visa is required for entry and stay in Chile for those who do so as holders of a Permanencia Transitoria permit. Nevertheless, for qualified reasons of national interest or for reasons of international reciprocity, a prior authorization or visa granted by a Chilean consulate abroad may be required for nationals of certain countries.

For a list of countries whose citizens are subject to this requirement, please visit the Servicios Consulares website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

* Countries that require prior authorization or visa to enter Chile are marked with a “SI” in the column REQ. VISTUR.

If I need prior authorization to enter Chile as a Permanencia Transitoria holder, where can I apply for it?

Foreign nationals who require prior authorization or a visa to enter the country must apply to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the consular representations of Chile abroad (Art. 169 of Law No. 21.325/2021).

For more information on the procedure to follow in each case, please visit the Atención Ciudadana page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG) is in charge of managing applications for the Extension of Permanencia Transitoria and Work Authorizations for this immigration category.


Without prejudice to the requirements established for each subcategory, if you enter Chile as a Permanencia Transitoria holder, you will have to certify your lawful means of livelihood that will allow you to remain in the country.

© Images from Freepik.


Reserva tu hora de atención presencial

Para reservar, debes ingresar con tu cuenta del Portal de Trámites del SERMIG. Si no tienes una, entonces el primer paso es crearla:

Si ya validaste tu cuenta, selecciona la oficina regional que buscas:

* Recuerda que sólo puedes reservar una cita a la vez.

Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: