Foreign inhabitants of border areas


Who is this permit intended for?

Paso fronterizo

This subcategory is aimed at foreign nationals and permanent residents of States bordering Chile and having an address in areas neighboring the national border, provided they reside in a border area defined by a bilateral agreement agreed upon by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs with prior consultation with the Ministry of National Defense, and complying with the requirements established in the aforementioned agreement.

The conditions for the granting of this Permanencia Transitoria permit are established in Article 54 of Law No. 21.325, and in accordance with Articles 55 and 56 of Regulation of the same legal body.

If I need prior authorization to enter Chile as a Permanencia Transitoria holder, where can I apply for it?

The permit will be granted by the controlling authority at the moment the person enters through the Chilean Policía Internacional at any of the border crossings of the Chilean territory.

The Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG) is responsible for managing the applications to extend the Permanencia Transitoria and the Work Permits for this immigration category.

General information

To certify your status as a border zone inhabitant, you must be registered in a special registry or be the holder of a document that indicates it, as stipulated in the respective bilateral agreement.

If you have a special document or registration, it entitles you to enter, stay and exit the Chilean border zone indicated therein.

The entry, stay and exit to another Chilean territory other than that of the zone indicated on your part, must be carried out subject to the general rules.

The requirements to obtain the document or registration, its corresponding renewal, the authority in charge of delivering it, as well as its validity, will be determined in the regulations, in accordance with the respective bilateral agreement. These agreements may also contemplate that the border zone inhabitant may apply for a Residencia Temporal, according to the general rules, if such benefit is granted reciprocally to Chileans and residents.

If you are a foreigner and inhabitant of a border zone, you will be able to cross the border to the corresponding border zone of Chile with preferential attention for entry and exit.

As a condition, you may only stay in the border zone indicated in the document or registration, and for the period of stay established in the bilateral agreement, which may not exceed seven days each time.

The benefit of the previous paragraph shall only apply if in the respective border zones of the neighboring country this benefit is reciprocally granted to Chileans and residents. Nevertheless, the entry and exit of children and adolescents shall be carried out in accordance with the provisions of Article 28 of Law No. 21.325.

You will be able to engage in remunerated activities if you enter as an inhabitant of a border zone, applying for the respective authorization to work, only if the bilateral agreement with the bordering country so establishes (see terms in Article 54 of Law No. 21.325).


Without prejudice to the requirements established for each subcategory, if you enter Chile as a Permanencia Transitoria holder, you will have to certify your lawful means of livelihood that will allow you to remain in the country.

© Images from Freepik.


Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: