Temporary Residence

Residencia Temporal permit that may be requested by foreigners interested in settling in Chile for the purpose of studying in educational establishments recognized by the State, provided they comply with the corresponding requirements.

This subcategory of Residencia Temporal is aimed at foreigners who wish to reside in the country for a limited period of time, in order to engage in lawful remunerated activities under a subordinate or dependent relationship with an employer who has an address or branch office in Chile. It also applies to people who have a formal job offer issued by a Chilean natural or legal person.

It is a Residencia Temporal permit granted to those foreigners who have a certified family or guardianship bond with a Chilean or foreign person holder of a Residencia Definitiva permit.

Foreigners who have a Residencia Temporal permit may request a change of immigration subcategory, as well as a change of status of holder or dependent.

It will be understood as Prórroga, that request made by a foreign person in order to renew its current Residencia Temporal permit, maintaining the subcategory and the status of the same one.

When an application for a Residencia Temporal permit is rejected, the person has the option to file an administrative appeal against the measure, submitting new information that allows a review of the decision made by the authority.

The Estampado Electrónico is the document issued by the Servicio Nacional de Migraciones (SERMIG) for foreigners who have been granted a Residencia Temporal permit and which allows them to certify their residence status.

The Residencia Temporal is the permit granted by the Servicio Nacional de Migraciones to foreigners who intend to reside in Chile for a limited period of time, which will be valid for up to 2 years, except for the subcategory of seasonal workers.

Sign up and schedule an appointment!

To schedule an appointment, log in with your username and password from the SERMIG’s Portal de Trámites Digitales. If you don’t have one, you can create it.

Scheduling an appointment is available in all regional offices in Chile. Remember that you can only make one reservation at a time!

¿Qué información buscas?


  • Si necesitas tu Resolución Exenta, documento oficial que acredita tu residencia temporal o definitiva, revisa cómo encontrarla y descárgala en nuestro portal. Te guiamos paso a paso.
  • Si necesitas otro tipo de información, ingresa tu solicitud en el formulario: